Monday, June 18, 2007

Glastonbury Tor

Well, we have been everywhere, man, over the past few days. We've covered an awesome amount of distance, the highlight of which, was Glastonbury Tor.


As I said in a previous post, the cheese-factor in Glastobury itself is really high. But it's worth putting up with for the sake of the Tor. I've mentioned that the Tor is supposed to be the gateway to Avalon. In fact the area around the Tor, where the town is, used to be covered with water. Those who have read The Mists Of Avalon will be familiar with the Priestesses having to ride out in a boat and part the mists to emerge from the other world... or to admit visitors.

In any case, the waters have long receded and now there is the town. We had booked into Kylemore House B&B and were hosted by Tim & Tiana. As it turned out, Tim is a card reader (there are many in the town) and the thing that makes him different is that he uses a Glastonbury set of cards. So I took the plunge and asked him to read for me.

The reading was quite weird to start with and really didn't click into place for me until Tim had turned over about the eighth card. Suffice to say I'm not telling you any of what the reading was about, but it really struck a chord with me. In particular, it reminded me of a dream I'd had the previous night in which Rhonda Byrne, the writer of The Secret, had appeared with Oprah Winfrey. I took their appearance as being a symbolic reminder that you can create anything that you can imagine, and that I should use my time in Glastonbury to do just that.

So immediately after the reading, Marky and I took a walk up the Tor. This was no mean feat. Apart from the fact that there is some cow manure to negotiate, there is also a very steep hill up the side of the Tor. I hear there is a less steep climb, but we chose the side that is most obvious when you look at the Tor from the town. This whole trip I've been saying that as long as I'm fit enough to climb the Tor, I'll be satisfied. My little heart was beating wildly in my chest, and I had to stop and enjoy the view a couple of times to calm it down, but we made it up to the top in about 35 minutes, which is pretty standard I hear.

From the top of the Tor you have 360 degree sweeping views of Somerset. And it is a stunning view to say the least. Also at the top is the tower of St Michael's church, most of which is gone. We have a great photo of us at the top and hopefully we'll get to upload it at some point. We sat overlooking Glastonbury for about 15 minutes, and took the time to reaffirm our vows with a re-exchange of rings. It was a wonderful moment. Very healing, very inspiring and just very reassuring, given the card reading.

No comments: