Saturday, June 23, 2007

Aquaman

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was originally going to write today's post in 2 parts, the first of which was going to be subtitled "How hard is it to be ready on time?", which would have been a rant about a German couple and their almost-two-year-old son who caused us to wait ten minutes for them to arrive and then have their pancakes delivered to the minivan on our way to go snorkelling. But they turned out to be nice people so forget I said anything.

O, Thailand! A many-jewelled tiara sticking up out of the Andaman Sea! A veritable treasure trove of wondrous beauty and unforgettable experiences (apart from those involving too much liquor in Patong and Thai ladyboys on motorbikes). Today was spent with the crew of some boat whose name eludes me and a tour guide called Indy who went far above the call of duty to provide us with super-exceptional service. Indy and his band of merry men, under the employ of "Phuket Adventures", took us out on a snorkelling and swimming excursion to Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Lay, two small islands off to the southeast of Phuket. We snorkelled and swam in the most beautiful seawater we've ever been in - warm and absolutely crystal clear. I managed to get right in amongst a huge school of fish who were being fed from the boat and to feel them swimming into my body and face was, in a word, cool.

We also went to Maya Beach (or is it Maya Bay) on Phi Phi Lay, which is where they filmed the movie "The Beach". Pristine white sands, aquamarine water and sheer, tree-studded cliff faces - stunning place. Below is a very naughty photo, taken from under a rock cliff on Maya Bay beach by Indy, our cheeky guide, who then denied he figured it out himself... a sad attempt at preserving some decorum!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lunch was served to us on a small island in the middle of the sea - some traditional Thai fare and french fries. We then lazed about in deck chairs in the sand, going for the occasional swim. Well, I didn't really laze so much, as my deck chair was torn at the top and even though I fixed it twice I spent my time lying in it waiting for it to collapse. We had a beer. We had an ice cream. Life was good.

And tomorrow night we leave! As excited as I am about England, I'm really going to miss Phuket. I've loved it here - the hot, steamy air; the amazing green; swimming every day; the wonderful, friendly people... paradise.

No comments: